Friday, October 9, 2020 - Episode 091
By: Leslyn Keith, OTD, CLT-LANA
New Insights on Lipedema
- An article titled “New Insights on Lipedema: The Enigmatic Disease of the Peripheral Fat” published in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in December 2019, by a group of surgeons from Switzerland and Germany.
- This study examined the situation of over 200 women with stage 2 lipedema pre- and then post-liposuction.
- This survey tells us that women with lipedema generally have to wait too long to get a diagnosis and treatment, often have low thyroid which likely compounds their condition, and suffer from depression and pain which can dramatically reduce the quality of life.
- At least, the women in this survey had a good outcome for their liposuction surgery.
- Discuss carefully the risks and benefits with your surgeon and loved ones if you are considering surgery.