Monday, July 4, 2022 - Episode 723
By: Leslyn Keith, OTD, CLT-LANA
Lymphatics in Early Stage Lipedema
- Today I’d like to tell you about a study by researchers from Texas and Arizona in the US.
- The title of the paper is Lymphatic function and anatomy in early stages of lipedema.
- It was published in Obesity, the research journal for the Obesity Society in April 2022.
- Because it has been shown that several defects in lymphatic anatomy and function are present in the early stages of lymphedema, the authors wanted to see if this was also the case in early-stage lipedema, in other words before the presence of lipo-lymphedema.
- Specifically, the authors wanted to image the lymphatics of early-stage lipedema using near-infrared fluorescence lymphatic imaging, which uses the agent indocyanine green (ICG).