Tuesday, November 9, 2021 - Episode 486
By: Leslyn Keith, OTD, CLT-LANA
RCT Liposouction vs CDT
- Today I’d like to tell you about a randomized controlled trial that is registered at ClinicalTrials.gov called: LIPLEG.
- The LIPLEG trial is being performed by a group of physicians and researchers in Germany and its purpose is to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of liposuction compared to standard complete decongestive therapy (CDT) treatments.
- The whole study protocol is available online in a paper called: A randomised controlled multicentre investigator-blinded clinical trial comparing efficacy and safety of surgery versus complex physical decongestive therapy for lipedema (LIPLEG).
- The results of this study will be important for women with lipedema because all other research about the surgical intervention for lipedema have not had a control group for comparison.
- This study will be closely monitoring participants, looking for any adverse events, and documenting the differences in long-term outcomes of traditional non-invasive CDT compared to surgical intervention.