Tuesday, April 6, 2021 - Episode 269
By: Leslyn Keith, OTD, CLT-LANA
Aqua Cycling and Lipedema
- Today I’d like to tell you about a study by a group of clinicians in Germany, published in the medical journal Phlebologie in 2019.
- The article is called: Effects of aqua cycling as exercise therapy for lipoedema.
- Aqua cycling is riding a stationary bike that is submerged underwater.
- The surface of the water is generally at the rider’s waist to chest level.
- The authors review the general advantages to movement interventions in water and specifically for patients with lymphedema and lipedema.
- Their paper certainly convinced me that exercise of any sort in the water can be potentially very beneficial for women with lipedema.