Thursday, December 3, 2020 - Episode 146
By: Kay Sheppard
Is Sugar as Addictive as Cocaine?
- Today we have Kay Sheppard with us comparing sugar addiction to drug addiction and talking about the changes that occur in the brain with addiction.
- Kay is a specialist in food addiction and author of the book Food Addiction: The Body Knows.
- Addiction research specialists demonstrated that intense sweetness can surpass cocaine reward.
- Dr. Ahmed says, “When society finally discovers that sugar is just as addictive as pure cocaine, it will change its mind and attitude towards food addiction.”
- On average, the acute stage of withdrawal from refined carbohydrates takes 5 to 10 days, and around a year and a half of physical adjustment and recovery towards better health.