Monday, November 27, 2023 - Episode 1234
By: Leslyn Keith, OTD, CLT-LANA
Examining Compression Therapy for Lipedema: Preliminary Findings
- Today I’d like to tell you about a paper by a group of researchers in Poland.
- The paper is titled, The Usefulness of the Application of Compression Therapy among Lipedema Patients-Pilot Study.
- It was published in the peer-reviewed journal International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health in January 2023.
- This study compared two methods of lipedema treatment: exercises combined with compression therapy and exercises only.
- They also wanted to check the appropriateness of certain tools for measuring lipedema symptoms for research.
- It is important to note that although the authors believe that compression therapy won’t reduce the volume of fat tissue, they do believe that evidence has shown that it is useful in alleviating other symptoms associated with lipedema.
- The authors also state that there have been no studies that have tested compression therapy separately for manual lymph drainage.
- This paper is important for individuals with lipedema because while not definitive due to the limitations, it shows a trend toward combining exercise and compression therapy. We also discovered valuable information about methodology and how to conduct future research.