Monday, October 9, 2023 - Episode 1185
By: Leslyn Keith, OTD, CLT-LANA
Unlocking the Potential: Conquering Lipedema with Selenium's Support
- The article titled “Selenium Deficiency in Lymphedema and Lipedema—A Retrospective Cross-Sectional Study from a Specialized Clinic,” published in the medical journal Nutrients in April 2020, aimed to investigate the prevalence of selenium deficiency in patients with primary or secondary lymphedema, lipedema, or lipo-lymphedema. It also explored the potential influence of obesity on selenium levels in this group.
- The study is significant for women with lipedema because it revealed a noteworthy occurrence of selenium deficiency associated with the condition, even though it does not appear to worsen with disease progression.
- Moreover, there might be potential benefits from selenium supplementation, especially when dealing with lipo-lymphedema.
- Interestingly, foods like pork, beef, turkey, chicken, fish, shellfish, and eggs are rich sources of selenium and can be included in a ketogenic diet.
- If considering selenium supplementation, it’s crucial to consult a physician first to determine if you have a selenium deficiency and to ensure safe and appropriate supplementation.